The Facts on Joe Bortz (from August 7, 2009)
John Gunnell’s "Gunner Garage" suggested that Joe Bortz should become the "History Czar" for General Motors and Chrysler.
Joe has always shown a certain independence in going against the number crunchers who find at the moment that they can save money now by destroying important history that are important for future generations.
I have listed points that you may want to put in an article about Joe being well qualified for this position. I have put them down as bullet points for your reference. I know that Joe is not only well qualified but now that he is retired he has all the time in the world to make sure that it is a job well done.
Joe Bortz, Chicago area resident, and he has in the past saved single handedly
· Saved 90% of the Chrysler concept cars of the 1950s & 1960s
· Saved two dozen General Motors 1950s concept cars that were supposed to be destroyed. Not only saved them but has restored many back to like Motorama condition.
· Man of the Year for the Antique Automobile in the 1990s
· Has saved many Packard, Hudson & AMC concept cars from the 1950s and 1960s.
· Has had his own car museum and has displayed his cars at most of the major car shows in the last thirty years.
· Received the only Visionary Trophy ever given out at Pebble Beach Concours d’Elegance 2008 where cars from the collection were stars of the show for the 100th Anniversary of General Motors Celebration
· Great Warhoops Find of 1988 when he saved four historically significant General Motors Motorama cars and has since restored two.
· Independent automobile writer.
· The Bortz Auto Collection has been displayed at every major car museum in the United Stated including; Museum of Science and Industry, Gilmore Museum, Cleveland Auto & Aviation Museum, Petersen Museum, Auburn-Cord-Dusenberg Museum, Milwaukee Art Museum, Kenosha Historical Society
· Cars were featured as a star attraction at Pebble Beach 1989, 1990 and 2008.
· Collection featured at the Louis Vuitton Classic in New York’s Rockefeller Center in 1997
· Collection featured at GM Tech Center 75th Anniversary where he received the Visionary Award from General Motors executive Bob Lutz.
· Auto Week christened him as an Automobile Archeologist (previously was given that moniker in articles from the 1980s)
· Meadow Brook Concours 2010 starred four Bortz Auto Collection General Motors Motorama cars.
· Top 10 "Movers and Shakers" 1989
· Top 50 North American Collectors of 2006
· 1955 LaSalle Roadster & 1955 LaSalle Sedan stars of the 2013 Amelia Island Concours d’Elegance
· 2014 received the first ever award given out by Amelia Island for a collection
Joe Bortz at Amelia Island 2014 Click here.